Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Conclusion- What works for you ?

Over the semester we have been able to explore different views, ideas, and essays on what makes up the history of I.D. When dicussing the history of I.D it is interesting to try to observe and learn from the different values that different designers have when it comes to their own personal optinions on what makes up a good design. During this class we have been able to learn these different views and values through obseving various lectures, talks, and even through reading the blogs of other classmates. Before this class I was already certain that I had a clear view on the opinions of the majority of the design concentration for what is taught in industrial design at RISD for 2008. Most of what has been taught this year has been a strong emphasis on green design and the design for the other 90%.

Up untill this semester I have been somewhat blind to these important topics. After taking this class at the same time as taking my studio class, Design for Social Entrepenurs I have been able appreciate them more and better understand why they have been discussed and talked about with such great emphasis. It is important to understand that everyone has a voice. It is good to be self-motivated, but even better to be able to try and understand the motivation of others. Motivation in reason for design comes from the experiences you have gone through in your life so far. For people who are artistic and fluent in the design lanuage, they know that inspiration can come from anywhere.


This class has allowed me to become more interested in the benefits of good design when relating it to helping other people and the planet as a whole. It has also made me dicover different paths that are available for me to take my own talent in design after leaving RISD. Before this semester I admit I was close minded to green design and design for the other 90%, and was more focused on just making it through each day until I recive my RISD diploma. I was mostly concerned on how this RISD degree can help me get a good job after graduating. After being able to listen to the concerns and opinions of others on topics of world issues especially through this class I have been able to alter my motives in design.

This now brings me back to my first topic on what defines good design. I have come to the conclusion that good design can be anything that you make it. If you want to use your skills in design to help people less fortunate and become part of designing for the other 90% then that is great, and you will be very well appreaciated to the less fortunate. This is a topic that I feel strongly about especially being born in a third world country. Also by doing research on Haiti and other third world countries, and also being able to visit several, I belive that this design is very relavent.

The direction that I find myself moving towards after this class will probably still be trying to use my design talent to get a job to support myself, but then later on in life if I have become successful, I will not hesitate to help those less fortunate than myself and help others become successful in their own right. You only get one life to live and you have to make sure that you make decisions that will make you happy and willing to move on to the next task that is put before you. Once you have stabalized your own goals and motives, this is when you can say you are ready to help others. For some, this may be the opposite and that is great too. Some designers become motivated and stabalized by helping others first. This just goes to show that everyone is different, but no one should ever hesitate to be open-minded in sugestion on the opinions of others. Design is creative and there is no right answer and the rules are drawn with a thin line. The struggle now for upcomming designers is trying to find out what works the best for you to become inspired in your work and in everyday life.

No comments: